For an update go here. Still keeping track of the blogs on this post, though.
This year’s Second Life 5th Birthday party was to be about ‘Celebrating the cultural diversity of Second Life‘: Who do you hang around with in Second Life? What are your communities’ traditions and signature characteristics? Are you proud of your sexy blue fur? Your excruciatingly detailed tea ceremony? Your murky environments? Your sculptures? The help you’ve given to others? (From the Linden Blog)
But guess what? Child Avatars’ builds (and child avatars themselves not really either) are not welcome at SL5B. There’s already a lot written about it - fav title is by Dusan Writer ‘Lock Up Your Kids, Tie Up Your Kajira, It’s Time to Celebrate‘ - and I suggest you go and read on those blogs. I mainly want to say that I still stand behind my campaign program from that dark age when I ran for governor of Second Life and do not agree with this, and revoke my personal participation for the SL5B ‘photography’ part of the exhibition.
As they - Lindens - always say: ‘if you want us to fix something, file a JIRA issue’, I did and created: JIRA ISSUE MISC-1231 Missing Cultures & Communities from SL5B. I labelled this correctly as a ’showstopper’, as a lot of people are already saying they stop supporting the SL5B show, even members from the SL5B organisation team.
Update: ‘Robin Linden has indicated that child avatars are allowed and welcome as attendees - this is simply affecting whether child avatars can be contributors.’(from SecondLifeChildren) This makes absolutely and utterly NO SENSE AT ALL! Shall we all go as child avatars or on a leach then? ;)
Update: ‘If you set the JIRA as a Showstopper..you can see how quickly LL can work when they want to. It’s been downgraded to “Normal - minor loss or impairment of function, other problems that have workarounds..”. No response from them otherwise of course. They’ve just gone into ignore mode, and changed the flag so they don’t get bothered.‘ Shin - Reaction From Vint: ‘Harleen Gretzky’ did so.
I remember clearly when Linden Lab blogged about child avatars, I was so relieved. Ken D Linden said: ‘Please note it does not violate this policy merely to have a child-like avatar. It is not our intent to banish child-like avatars in and of themselves.‘ I assume that is revoked, and they do wish to banish avatars from partaking in social life on the ‘inSL’ grid.
On your reading list: (update: keeping count! ;))
- Daniel Regenbogen’s LL discriminates against the kids - Summary of an email conversation Daniel had with Robin Linden: ‘… kid avatars would be welcome as guests but not allowed to contribute to the showcase - because that wouldn’t be in the best interest of the event and Linden Lab.‘
- Marianne McCann at SecondLife Children - She and Loki got to hear their builds and participation for SL5B is not welcomed. Quite a moderate stand, explaining the Linden that had to bring the news does not stand behind it either. Well, they should not make decisions they don’t stand behind?
- SignPost Marving at his blog - Withdraws from his position as organiser of SL5B, due to irreconcilable differences between myself, Dusty and Everett Linden over ethical issues, and the degree of Linden Lab involvement in what is a Resident-ran event (and has been for at least the last 3 years).
- Tateru Nino at Massively - Background information. About the Evil One that Caused All This (in combination with a lack of backbone on Linden Lab’s side!!) - Just updated with ‘Gor and BDSM communities are apparently not welcome anymore either. Any more that you might have expected to be a part that you now expect to be excluded?’ No sources linked for that.
- OnMr Evans Evan’s avenue the title jumps out: ‘And the sign said: ‘ ________ need not apply!’
- Arial Otafuku is also stepping back as organiser for SL5B. (Reported from group notice by CodeBastard Redgrave).
- CatsAndFishes - Second Life 5th Birthday Celebration
- Crap Mariner - The Fake Children
- Spiffy Serena - Linden Labs
- Adz Childs (artificial boy) - Shape Based Exclusion
- Jacek Lives - [Rant] Intolerance
- Gabby Panacek (Couture Conundrum) - Missing Communities
- Otenth Paderborn - Child avatars . . . and BDSM . . . and Gor . . . and?
- Tali Rasca - Children of the Exhibition
- Ordinal Malaprop - A Restriction of the Youth
- Emilly Orr- I didn’t want to hurt you but you’re pretty when you cry
- Rai Fargis - The SL5B PR Disaster
- Gabby Panacek (Glamourazzi) - Missing Communities
- Dr. Darien J. Mason - all for a children’s crusade
- Ravishal - I did not join SL to be part of the mainstream
- Emilly Orr (2) - Move along move along, like I know you
- Ben Kuchere (on Mark Kirk, not on SL5B) - Second Life a danger to children? Lawmaker trawls for votes
- Ganymedes Costagravas - Barbwiring a Birthday Event
- Daman Tenk - Gotta Ban ‘em All
- Kids5B - Blog created to organise the child avatar’s celebration of the 5th birthday, loose from ‘official’ SL5B events & sims.
- Dandellion Kimbal - Tie up those Kids and send them to Gor
- Morris Vig (secondarts) - The Linden Department of Self-Immolation
- Jacek (2) - Public Relations vs Resident Relations
- Rosie Barthelmess - SL5B Outrage
- Mr Evans (2) - Sign Sign Everywhere a Sign
- Sougent Harrop - Kerkuffle
- Raul Crimson - You are not invited to the party
- Emilly Orr (3) - when the one thing you want is the only thing out of your reach
- BardHaven - Your World, Our Trade Demo!
- Marianne McCann - SL5B
- Solomon Devoix - Linden Lab proclaims Child Avatars only for sex
- CeNedra Rivera - My name is Cen and I am Hypocrite
- Gamepolitics.com - Congressman’s Political Pressure Impacting Second Life Child Avatars
- YOU NEXT?!
The Grid Democracy party might not have made it to office, we continue to campaign for the future of our kids: The Grid Democracy Party wishes to make clear that when governing she shall not accept parents to put the responsability to raise their children with the government. When ruling, the Grid Democracy Party shall use all means in it’s power to prevent mass murder on our children and to preserve their innocent lives. When given your vote, the Grid Democracy Party will do anything within it’s reach to keep our children safe. Because they are the Goreans of tomorrow. Because they are the Neko’s of tomorrow. Because they are the Furries of tomorrow. Because how we treat our children today, that determines our future! (And now the news just have come in that Gor and BDSM communities are not welcome at SL5B either, the Grid Democracy press attaché is considering sending out a ’see, we told you so!’ press release! ;))
Assumed progress: first children are declared illegal, than Goreans and BDSM, next are the neko’s and furries, after that come the tinies? And then? Then only humans are left. And then all human females with less breast than a ‘B’ size will be illegal. And all male humans with big stomachs. Because it’s offending and not pretty. And next thing you know? We’ll be living in virtual f*cking Baywatch!