I just quit Plurk. Not because I was not enjoying it, no. Hell, it’s even the most fun and entertaining social networking tool I’ve seen in ages! (Although I have high hopes for Zivity. ;)) I met some interesting new avies - and even some of their humans - but somehow reality was catching up on me there. Let’s call it RL drama, which is almost as scary as the typical everyday SL drama. Basically, if you don’t feel free to write an honest 140 characters about what you feel at the moment, or interests you, or you’d wish for, you might as well not write at all? Else you’ll end up just plurking ‘Goodmorning plurkers’ and ‘goodnight plurkers’ and I forbid myself to drop to that level of social networking. :d
As myself, I hate vague and dramatic ‘I’ll quit messages’, I’ll share - some - details on why I’m gone:
- I felt certain persons were taking everything I wrote - although nothing personal, see #2 - to personal. I choose my live to revolve around no one but me - egocentric, maybe? - at the moment. Myself is already more than I can handle! ;)
- If I were to plurk my real feelings on certain matters - shortly and tactfully summarized: Invasion alert, to close! Leave parts of my life just for me, please. - I’d be evoking a lot of real life drama. Maybe I am now also. But somehow needed to get this off my chest.
- Someone I succeeded at successfully ignoring for a few months suddenly showed up. What I’d say if I were to send 140 characters? You really don’t want to know. I’m sure the person in question does not either. So we’ll just shut up.
- I honestly felt the urge to plurk ‘what the hell would we care, get a life!’ sometimes, which must sound rather strange from someone who has a full time second. :d But I resisted doing just that, and I’m not proud for that one.
- Because of above items, I dropped to the level of plurking I lost my car keys and other various random utterly stupid stuff. As I don’t want to lower myself to that level of social networking - I’m sorry, but time not well spend - I might as well say nothing.
So what about you? On twitter, your blog, facebook, plurk or whatever social networking gods recently invented, are you ‘totally honest’? Are you one of those people that post little unimportant details, or do you write openly about things - in your 1st or 2nd life - that really matter to you? What do you care about more: your ‘karma’, popularity… or the content of what you write?
Anyway, dear Plurk, it was nice knowing you. Lovely to write various, 140 characters maxed anecdotes off my chest. Fun experimenting with how to use you for blog-promo, what to write to evoke the most replies, to discover how easily people offer friendship. Maybe I did not take you serious enough, but limiting my thoughts to 140 characters was surely an interesting exercise. I’ll hop in from time to time to send a private plurk to people I do not have email for if I’m to lazy to log into SL. But that’s about it. Our relationship ends here. Mainly, because others are overly complicated.
So far for SL ft. RL ft. Plurk drama. Beat that, SL fashionistas! ;)